[OpenStack-Infra] Status of Puppet Apply

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sat Nov 28 22:17:10 UTC 2015

Hey all,

We're in the home stretch and are pretty much ready to go except for
getting some reviews on:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:puppet-apply+status:open,n,z

I made an etherpad:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/magical-puppet-apply

To track getting it rolled out.

** Current Status **

We're now copying the split hiera data files to all of the hosts, and
spot-checking of running puppet apply on hosts shows that it works as
expected.

The remaining big patches are:

- Prep for OpenStack Inventory - https://review.openstack.org/249929

This installs shade and the ansible openstack inventory code on the
system but does not enable it. It also changes our ansible inventory to
be a combo of dynamic and status which allows us to disable hosts at the
ansible level

- Switch to OpenStack Inventory - https://review.openstack.org/249930

Once this rolls live, we'll be using information from our nova accounts
instead of the puppetmaster to get the list of hosts to run on.

- Use puppet apply - https://review.openstack.org/249492

The big one. This flips the switch from agent to apply. *boggles*

I'd love to get at least those reviewed and landed this week.

Monty