[OpenStack-Infra] Questions with respect to packaging

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri May 1 13:46:24 UTC 2015

On 04/29/2015 02:19 AM, Steve Kowalik wrote:
> On 29/04/15 04:41, Monty Taylor wrote:
>> On 04/28/2015 02:02 PM, Clark Boylan wrote:
>>> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015, at 11:13 PM, Steve Kowalik wrote:
>
> [snip]

>>> I don't have much of an opinion here other than I think it would be
>>> unfun to maintain local forks of all the things we build packages for. I
>>> am inclined to say point at remote locations until we need to do
>>> otherwise for some reason.
>>
>> I agree with Clark - except I see both needs.
>>
>> I can imagine a few different things we might want to build and/or host:
>>
>> - temporary packages of things where the packaging source lives
>> elsewhere (think "run the version of libvirt that's in debian unstable
>> on our ubuntu trusty build hosts, but stop keeping a copy as soon as it
>> hits an official repo")
>>
>> - temporary packages of things where we need to modify the packaging in
>> some manner (think "the nova team wants a version of libvirt that does
>> not exist anywhere yet, and us installing it on our build hosts is part
>> of the step needed to show that it's worthwhile putting into the next
>> release of a distro - but we'll consume from the upstream distro when it
>> gets there")
>>
>> - per-commit or per-tag versions of things where we are the upstream but
>> the packaging repo is not hosted in gerrit ("think building a package of
>> nova on each commit and shoving it somewhere and using the installation
>> of that package as the basis for doing gate testing")
>>
>> - per-commit or per-tag versions of things where we are the upstream and
>> where the packaging is hosted in gerrit ("think infra running CD
>> deployments of zuul per-commit but building a deb of it first")
>>
>> So I think the answer here is complex and needs to accomodate some
>> packages where we want to have a packaging repository that is a
>> first-class citizen in our infrastructure, and some things where we do
>> not want to import a packaging repository into gerrit but instead want
>> to either reference an external packaging repository, or even just
>> generate some packages with no packaging repository based on other forms
>> of scripting.
>
> It also sounds like we want to support multiple builds per package --
> like your example above of different libvirts. So we have
> openstack/package-libvirt (bikeshedding about the name goes here), and
> multiple branches on gerrit? Sounds like it could work.

I'm unconvinced that we want a packaging repo in gerrit for everything
we may want a package of. Repos in gerrit are permanent and creating
them is heavyweight - for things like backports, our interest in having
such a thing may be temporary in nature.

I'm not sure the perfect solution, but one could imagine a file in a
repo somewhere that describes a set of things to backport/rebuild that
exist elsewhere, or that have packaging repos elsewhere. I think
delorean operates on something like that, yeah?

> [...]
>>> may not publish them on every commit but we should build them on every
>>> commit (this is one way to gate for package changes). If we need to
>>> control publishing independent of commits we can use tags to publish
>>> releases.
>>
>> I agree with clarkb. I would prefer that we build a package on every
>> commit and that we "publish" those packages on a tag like what works
>> with all of our other things
>>
>> I think, as with the other things, there is a case here we also publish
>> to a location per-commit. Again, zuul comes to mind as an example of
>> wanting to do that. If a commit to zuul requires a corresponding commit
>> and tag to deploy to our zuul server, then we have lost functionality.
>> That said, if we have packaging infrastructure and want to provide a
>> zuul repo so that other people can run "releases" - then I could see
>> tagged versions publishing to a different repo than untagged versions.

>>> I would like to see us building packages before we worry too much about
>>> hosting them. In the past everyone has want to jump straight to these
>>> problems when we really just need to sort out building packages first.
>>
>> I agree and disagree with Clark. I think the above questions need to get
>> sorted first. However, I'd like to mention that, again, there are a few
>> different use cases.
>>
>> One could be a long-lived repo for things we care and feed, like zuul,
>> that is publicly accessible with no warnings.
>>
>> One could be a repo into which we put, for instance, per-commit packages
>> of OpenStack because we've decided that we want to run infra-cloud that
>> way. OR - a repo that we use to run infra-cloud that is only published
>> to when we tag something.
>>
>> One could be a per-build repo - where step one in a devstack-gate run is
>> building packages from the repos that zuul has prepared - and then we
>> make that repo available to all of the jobs that are associated with
>> that zuul ref.
>>
>> One could be a long-lived repo that contains some individually curated
>> but automatically built things such as a version of libvirt that the
>> nova team requests. Such a repo would need to be made publically
>> available such that developers working on OpenStack could run devstack
>> and it would get the right version.
>>
>> Finally - we should also always keep in mind that whatever our solution
>> it needs to be able to handle debian, ubuntu, fedora and centos.
>
> Absolutely. However, given the above, I think the next step is to split
> this specification into two. First one about storing packaging in
> gerrit and building packages for Ubuntu/Debian/CentOS/etc, and then
> extending that in the second specification saying that we have these
> great packages and wouldn't it be awesome if people could consume them.
>
> Since the steps for building the packages is rather uncontentious, I
> shall push up a specification for doing same within the next day or
> two, if no one disagrees with my splitting plan.

Agree - I think that there are (at least) two different concerns.