[OpenStack-Infra] Translation setup challenges

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Wed Dec 30 18:44:41 UTC 2015

On 12/29/2015 02:32 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> For (b), we've had some good luck with getting release-related
> things right by setting up dependent changes to make it easier for
> us to review the content going into the project repository before
> a change goes into the control repo. For example, release requests
> must have a related change to the global requirements list that
> depends on the release request.  This lets us ensure that the
> requirements update is/will be correct before creating the release.
> We used a similar process to remove the version settings from
> setup.cfg in projects for the first milestone tags.

what happens right now is that reviews for project-config come in that
depends-on a change in the to-translated repo. Or they come in without.
In both cases, I review the change in run into a few of the mentioned
problems.

We do have also some repos that have setup translations at project
creation and not managed to get the repos setup properly, our scripts
fail on them ;(

> You could require that patches to add translation jobs have a comment
> linking to a change within the target project that adds the required
> settings to tox.ini and whatever other config files can't be
> auto-generated. If the patch to add those files depends on the
> project-config patch, you can ensure that the files are present
> with the correct names before enabling the job.

The dependency could also be in the other direction - either way, I
agree with your approach to enforce a repo to be setup before we start
translations.

Btw. draft spec is up at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/262545/ ,

Andreas
        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)