[OpenStack-Infra] [support at freenode.net: [freenode.net #158989] leguin.freenode.net and the å of doom]

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Aug 8 17:32:19 UTC 2015

----- Forwarded message from Marien Zwart via RT <support at freenode.net> -----
> [...]
> Although obviously there is any number of other places the script
> may encounter non-utf8 provided to it by other users connected to
> freenode, so you might want to fix the script to be more tolerant
> as well. Otherwise things like users with non-ascii realnames can
> DoS the script, depending on what it does.

Good point. In this case the affected script merely connects to
Freenode and queries ChanServ for access permissions of a list of
channels, then immediately disconnects again so the chances of it
being DoSed are slim. Also if it is, it'll just cause obscure and
annoying test failures to get reported on changes in our code review
system occasionally (as opposed to regularly, courtesy of picking
leguin out of the pool, prior to its MOTD being fixed).