[OpenStack-Infra] Discussion about scalable election tools

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Fri Apr 3 18:35:13 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 01:15:28PM -0400, Anita Kuno wrote:
> Problem Statement: OpenStack is growing, the election tools we use for
> gathering nominations and communicating status of nominations, the
> current workflow can be found on this wikipage:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Election_Officiating_Guidelines is
> unable to be accessed by election officials and the electorate in a
> clear way. The process we use for actually conducting the polls is fine.
> We need to discuss and agree on a new workflow for posting
> self-nominations and platforms for elections.
>
> Does anyone have  input on tools that we might use to meet these
> requirements for self nomination and platform management in elections?
> Requirements:
> * archivable
> * public
> * unable to be edited once posted
> * clear differentiation between governed and ungoverned elections
> * candidates can self-nominate
> * low barrier to entry for tools, candidates shouldn't be restricted due
> to lack of knowledge of tools

Well, doesn't the ML actually meet all of these requirements, except for having
the distinction between governed and ungoverned elections. Maybe we should just
build some tooling that watches the ML for posts with a certain subject (like
what you and the other election officials are currently manually enforcing) and
check whether the project election is governed or not, updates a wiki, etc. I
don't think a little bot to do that would be that difficult to write. (although
I could be easily overlooking something)

> Reference:
> * Current voting workflow:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Election_Officiating_Guidelines
> * Condorcet: http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/