[OpenStack-Infra] A proposal to use phabricator for issue tracking

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Apr 3 15:11:08 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Monty Taylor's message of 2015-04-03 11:00:34 -0400:
> As a follow up to my previous email about thinking about ceasing to use
> storyboard, I have done some work towards investigating using phabricator.
>
> phabricator came out of Facebook, but has been spun out completely and
> is now managed as an Open Source project. There is a company that has
> formed around it doing support and hosted installs ... so it has a
> vibrant and active developer community working on it.
>
> In our broader infra ecosystem, we do lots of things with the Wikimedia
> Foundation. They are close collaborators on Jenkins Job Builder, and are
> also zuul users. They have recently migrated their bug tracking to
> phabricator ... so one could imagine that our collaboration could
> continue nicely.
>
> There are several phabricator features we are not interested in - such
> as code review. Luckily it is easy to turn them off.

The limited ability we have to set ACLs on subtrees in gerrit comes up
periodically when we talk about how we organize review teams and
delegating responsibilities for parts of code trees. Does phabricator
offer better (or different) support for that sort of thing?

Doug