[OpenStack-Infra] best way to add handlebars.js to infra?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Sep 29 22:12:55 UTC 2014

Over the weekend I redid elastic-recheck to use handlebars.js instead of
inline dom building... it's so much nicer:
https://github.com/openstack-infra/elastic-recheck/blob/master/web/share/index.html#L61-L79
and
https://github.com/openstack-infra/elastic-recheck/blob/master/web/share/elastic-recheck.js#L82-L85

I'd really like to get this pattern into more of our tooling, as I think
it will expand the scope of the people who can contribute, as they can
address formatting issues outside of javascript logic.

It seems like it would be nice to have it be rooted on
static.openstack.org like jquery is, so we've got a common copy that
everyone can use.

So... questions:

- Should javascript libraries be hosted on static.openstack.org (which
reduces what users need to download) or should we carry them around in
every app (which means static.o.o could be blocked or down, but the app
would still work)?

- Regardless of where they go, how should we get them there via puppet?
 - wget + file install?
 - npm ?
 - bower?
 - some 3rd thing?

Would be good to have a pattern here so we can repeat as required in the
future.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague