[OpenStack-Infra] seek suggestion for single CI master vs multiple CI master(1 master per driver) structure.

Wan, Sam Sam.Wan at emc.com
Fri Oct 24 05:33:10 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I work for EMC E-lab and focus on openstack EMC cinder driver certification.

Currently we have a single CI master with 2 slaves for VMAX drivers(FC/iSCSI).
In the near future, we'll take VNX driver into our CI and later we may take other EMC drivers like XIO into our CI systems. The number will increase when new driver is accepted by openstack.

We're having difficulties in choosing between single CI master structure vs multiple CI masters structure(1 master per driver).

For multiple CI masters structure, it has below drawbacks:
o multiple upstream gerrit accounts needed. one for each CI master.
o multiple external IP's from internal IT needed. one for each CI master.
o multiple masters increase complexities of admin and maintenance.

And below are pros and cons of single CI master structure.
pros:
o only 1 IP and 1 account needed.
o admin of a single CI master is much easier.

cons:
o One failure record of any driver will fail the review session for review.openstack.org. Multiple drivers greatly increase the chance of blocking review process of other successful drivers.
o Performance limitation - Results show up in review.openstack.org only after slowest job completes.

Currenlty our VMAX cinder drivers(FC/iSCSI) take about 9-10 hours to run openstack tempest while VNX cinder drivers only take about 40 mins to run.  You can see that single master structure will greatly impact the commit rate of VNX driver.

Please kindly suggest which one is better for our situation.
Does anyone have similar dilemma?

your suggestion or hint will be very appreciated.

thanks and regards

Wan Shan (Sam)

Openstack Certification
EMC E-Lab Customer Solution & Qualification Labs
Tel: +86-28-82966713
Address: 7F, C12, Tianfu Software Park, Chengdu, Sichuan, P. R. of China