[OpenStack-Infra] Announcing a new infrastructure project, Vinz code review system.

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Mar 18 10:04:27 UTC 2014

Monty Taylor wrote:
> Which means, although I tend to have a side which agrees with Clint and
> Clark that replacing gerrit is a bit of a potential giant rathole - I
> also think that making a scalable thing that architecturally fits with
> the other things we've got would be nice.

It would be nice. But I think there are two major differences between
StoryBoard and Vinz from a development effort perspective...

First, task tracking is fundamentally simple. As my POC proved, it's
just a few database tables -- the complexity you add on top of it is
just pure bonus. I see the basic code review functionality and the
manipulation of associated git repositories as a much more complex endeavor.

Second, I think Launchpad created a lot of developer itches that
StoryBoard hopefully will allow them to scratch. So we can hope to see
our developers help with StoryBoard in the future... I'm not sure Gerrit
created enough pain so far. Yes it's ugly but it gets the work done
pretty well. Could you point to a specific shortcoming that you can't
address in the legacy app and that would be the killer feature ? In
StoryBoard, that would be the ability to track cross-project features
with tons of tasks.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to prevent anyone from working on
anything they would like to. I'm just afraid that this is a large
project and I don't see it attracting enough contributors to be a
long-term sustainable alternative... potentially making it a gigantic
distraction.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)