[OpenStack-Infra] About openstack branching model and openstack branch stable/icehouse

Le Tian Ren renlet at cn.ibm.com
Wed Jun 11 10:00:30 UTC 2014

Hi Infra team,

This thread is about branching model, since my team just put a project on
stackforge and ready to create a milestone-proposed branch for final
release to support openstack icehouse release. Now it's time for us to
consider branching stategy(parallel development) on github, guess there are

a popular NVIE model,
OpenStack branching model, https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Branch_Model

Openstack also repects the NVIE one:
"Starting with the Diablo cycle, OpenStack core projects use a branching
model close to the NVIE model that ensures an almost-always-open master
while still allowing to freeze features and select bugfixes in a release
branch (milestone-proposed)"

After review the 2 models, I have several questions:
1. OpenStack's master branch works as both the development and master
(production ready) branch of the NVIE model together, right?  I wonder 2
main branches vs 1 main branch, which one is better and why?
2. I noticed that there are stable/icheouse, stable/havana branches on
github web GUI of many openstack projects like nova, heat, ironic. To what
branches mentioned in the above 2 models can these stable/* mapped,
supporting release branches? hot fix branches? BTW, if I git clone these
projects, I cannot see those stable/* branches with git branch.. why? And
when were they created in a OpenStack release cycle and what for?

Any opinion is apprecicated, thanks in advance!