[OpenStack-Infra] mysqlconnector and pypi vs oracle

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 03:32:49 UTC 2014

On 07/11/2014 05:54 AM, Angus Lees wrote:
> Given that mysql-connector is shipped by the official mysql devs (ie:
> Oracle), I'm not much looking forward to convincing Oracle to ship their
> software through another repo.   How important is this?  Do we have
> other avenues available to us?

A number of us go way back at MySQL and know the maintainers of the
connectors (Python and otherwise) as ex-colleagues. I'm pretty sure any
of the connector maintainers would be happy to work with the community
in the most effective ways possible, especially with a little assistance
from our end.

If you need me to reach out to anyone there, I'd be happy to do so. Same
goes for Percona and Monty Program AB (MariaDB folks), since both those
companies also have old colleagues working there. I don't want to speak
for Monty Taylor, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have a problem
reaching out either, if he hasn't done so already.

Best,
-jay