[OpenStack-Infra] IRC channel services for Fuel

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Oct 28 10:05:47 UTC 2013

Matthew Mosesohn wrote:
> I work with Mirantis and we want to add channels #openstack-fuel and
> #openstack-fuel-dev and use it for day-to-day communication and try to
> reach any interested contributors. We currently collaborate elsewhere,
> but want to fit in on Freenode IRC. Jeremy Stanley (fungi) proposed I
> suggest this topic here to discuss the pros and cons of permitting
> unofficial projects in #openstack-* namespace in IRC.

I know the Foundation is getting concerned with the abuse of the
"OpenStack" name for non-official projects. People announcing a "new
openstack project" and calling it "openstack FOO". This grey area serves
the marketing of a lot of companies well, but creates confusion and
dilutes whatever impression of quality and integration we may have
created on our users.

I fear that adding #openstack-BAR channels adds to that confusion.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)