[OpenStack-Infra] The future of milestone-proposed branches

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Fri Nov 22 17:10:10 UTC 2013

Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> writes:

> To script milestone-proposed branch creation, it looks like granting
> createReference to "Release managers" on refs/heads/proposed/* would do
> the job (although maybe the current "push" permission on
> "refs/for/refs/*" might already be enough). Then I suspect I could "git
> branch proposed/icehouse-1 $SHA && git push gerrit proposed/icehouse-1".
>
> To script milestone-proposed branch deletion... looks like we'd have to
> allow push +force on the same refs. Not exactly sure how you git-push
> the deletion of a branch, but the git/gerrit experts on this list should
> be able to tell me.

The thing we don't want to do is grant push (with or without force) on a
branch itself ('refs/for/...' is probably fine).  That is dangerous as
it allows you to bypass code review.

Also, it's probably worth looking into the state of the REST api, both
in 2.4 (unlikely) and 2.8 or 2.9.

Thierry, I've added you as an Administrator on review-dev, so feel free
to pick a project there and adjust ACLs (you can just use the web ui),
make branches, etc, as needed.  I usually use 'gtest-org/gtest', but I
suppose you could use 'emontyoncrack/wookie' if that sounds more fun.
:)

-Jim