[OpenStack-Infra] Automation job for new API samples

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Mar 8 22:32:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Laura Alves <laura.adq at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm Cc'ing you to be on the safe side because I'm unsure whether
>> you're subscribed to the list. Forgive me for the duplicate reply if
>> you are!
>>
>> No problem, thanks! I'm, but I forgot to add Anne. Sorry!

Thanks for looping me in!

>  On 2013-03-08 00:01:46 -0300 (-0300), Laura Alves wrote:
>> [...]
>> > Currently, the API samples we use to document are the ones added
>> > by developers to their respective repo doc folders (commonly
>> > 'repo'/doc/api_samples/'api_name'. So what we're doing when
>> > documenting a new API (or updating the samples of an existing one)
>> > is basically downloading the new files and adding them to our
>> > commit, so then they are merged to the API-site repo. Certainly
>> > having the files copied from one repo to another this way is a big
>> > part of the work, and not a super-fun one.
>> [...]
>>
>> Would it be possible for the API doc jobs to just retrieve an
>> up-to-date git clone of whatever project/branch they're documenting
>> at build time? Or would it maybe make more sense to merge the API
>> documentation into the projects they're documenting and simply
>> generate updated API documentation as a publish job out of the post
>> queue for each commit? I mainly just want to make sure that we're
>> not simply codifying a particular human workflow which might not
>> actually be well suited to automation.

I think that an automation of a git clone would work. There may be one
additional automation that would help achieve the end-goal.

The blueprint/discussion for this is here:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/api-samples-to-api-site

The main idea is to ensure the most updated samples are available to the
docs site. I think the workflow should be:

1. A nova dev makes new template files for API samples, checks into nova
repo.
2. Devs do the review process on nova repo, approve the patch.
3. At merge time, api_samples are built from templates (I don't believe
this is automated currently, Sean Dague has to remind nova devs to make
sure samples are built, possibly this could happen prior to approval).
4. At merge time, git clone the api_samples directory to the api-site repo
into the correct directory.

Seem like a good workflow or too much robot?

Anne