[OpenStack-Infra] Automation job for new API samples

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Mar 8 19:50:38 UTC 2013

I'm Cc'ing you to be on the safe side because I'm unsure whether
you're subscribed to the list. Forgive me for the duplicate reply if
you are!

On 2013-03-08 00:01:46 -0300 (-0300), Laura Alves wrote:
[...]
> Currently, the API samples we use to document are the ones added
> by developers to their respective repo doc folders (commonly
> 'repo'/doc/api_samples/'api_name'. So what we're doing when
> documenting a new API (or updating the samples of an existing one)
> is basically downloading the new files and adding them to our
> commit, so then they are merged to the API-site repo. Certainly
> having the files copied from one repo to another this way is a big
> part of the work, and not a super-fun one.
[...]

Would it be possible for the API doc jobs to just retrieve an
up-to-date git clone of whatever project/branch they're documenting
at build time? Or would it maybe make more sense to merge the API
documentation into the projects they're documenting and simply
generate updated API documentation as a publish job out of the post
queue for each commit? I mainly just want to make sure that we're
not simply codifying a particular human workflow which might not
actually be well suited to automation.

If there are technical or policy reasons to have these files
duplicated but kept in sync between projects, then it may be
possible to make a job triggered from merges to one project
automatically propose changes to another. That definitely sounds
hacky to me, though, if it can be avoided at all through
reorganization of those projects to avoid that duplication in the
first place.

> I thought outlining this through email would be better to reach
> everyone despite the time zones, but I'll be totally available to
> continue the discussion in the infra channel (I won't be this
> sleepy, hopefully).

Yes, the easiest times to reach the bulk of our Infra core
developers on IRC tend to be between 1700-0300 UTC on weekdays, but
we're often around at other times as well (I tend to be on starting
at about 1300 UTC for example).