[OpenStack-Infra] Git review and local merges?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Jun 7 16:08:03 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-23 16:56:29 -0700 (-0700), Spencer Judge wrote:
[...]
> Is there a way I can push just the merge, with all the changes,
> as one review (on master)? Am I just missing something? Or is
> this a workflow that isn't really supported by the tool?

Apologies for the late reply, but we just realized we hadn't been
keeping up with the moderator queue for the ML. No good. :/

It seems (having managed Gerrit for OpenStack and interacted with
some other projects' Gerrit servers as well) that it's uncommon for
the "Push Merge Commit" permission to be allowed into
refs/for/refs/* by default, so the client assumes a rebase-oriented
workflow instead. Also, I'm not entirely certain how Gerrit would
treat a merge commit with a Change-Id: header (if you have any
public examples of this in action I'm curious to see what it looks
like and how it treats the other parent commits).

I suspect, though I certainly could be mistaken, that even if
git-review grew this feature it still wouldn't match the sort of
workflow Gerrit expects anyway.

> If there's anything I can do to contribute, or even add this
> functionality myself, just point me at it and I'll see what I can
> do.

We're always thrilled to have help improving our software! Find us
in #openstack-infra on the Freenode IRC network if you want to chat,
or follow up to this mailing list (we're going to try to do a better
job of keeping up with moderation requests, but it's low-volume so
if you subscribe you don't have to worry about moderation anyway).