[OpenStack-Infra] Fwd: unitr

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Jul 25 22:46:04 UTC 2013

On 26 July 2013 10:18, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> Fred made a generalization of the nova testing tool that checks that you
> are adding a test with your patch:
>
> We should check it out and see if we can run it across OpenStack.

Mmm, just to say I'm skeptical about such a thing. For several reasons:
 - when fixing things with broken tests, you don't add tests (but you
do fix them)
 - 'a test' is the wrong metric. 'Enough tests' is the right one : can
this do cyclometric complexity + type inference analysis? [Which is
what good reviewers are doing in their head].
 - when you measure something you /get it/ : and if what you measure
isn't what you want, thats a bad thing.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>