[OpenStack-Infra] Talking is the first step.

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Apr 26 07:22:23 UTC 2013

Monty Taylor wrote:
> The more branches there are, the more possibility there is for developer
> confusion. Should a dev start dev work on openstack/master? Or
> openstack/smokestack? Then where do they send their patch to land?

+10k

Having a single branch to centralize development has been one of the key
things that brought clarity and focus to our development. We refrained
from doing "release branches" and "development branches" for that reason.

I also don't really see how cascading gates would work practically. What
happens when master has A..B..C..D  (with D fixing a bug in B) and
smokestack rejects B (because it has a bug ?). How would you reconcile
that without manually building wildly different trees ?

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack