[OpenStack-Infra] Talking is the first step.

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Apr 24 17:24:26 UTC 2013

On 04/24/2013 12:18 PM, David Kranz wrote:
> Monty, I think there are really two issues here:
>
> 1. How can we include a wider variety of tests (different configs,
> multi-node, performance, stress,  etc.) within the system that the infra
> group maintains?
> 2. Once we can run more kinds of tests, which of them are actually in
> the gate, and is the answer the same for all projects?

I agree with both of these points.

> There was a lot of discussion at the summit about progress on (1) and it
> seems you guys have real plans to address it, perhaps not without some
> controversy.

I think 1 is easier - both in terms of the things I want to drive in the
infra systems, and also in terms of things that other people want to
drive. It's an open system - so having more people (like bodepd) add
more tests that do more things is straightforward and limited only by
the resources people are interested in putting in to it

> But there was no real consensus about (2). I continue to believe that as
> the number of projects and configurations that we can test explodes, we
> will need a more principled way to make such decisions and run some
> tests as periodic or advisory instead. The more complex and "real" the
> testing gets, the harder it
> is to make the gate as reliable as it needs to be.

2 is the trick - because being in the gate itself means it's
prescriptive and effects other people - and it means that the infra team
needs to be able to address it.

The way you've framed this issue I think makes something clearer for me
that I've been trying to say- so I'm going to try a blunter approach on
part of it:

Because the infra team has to be able to support it, the infra team
needs/has veto power on what goes into the gate.

Now - that's a negative statement - but there's a corollary to that:

The infra team is open just like all of the other project teams.

If gating on a thing is important enough to someone that they actually
add enough staff to the project that become members of the infra team so
that the infra team as a whole feels appropriately staffed to deal with
it, then I don't think it'll be a problem. It's the same as with any
other team - if someone wants a thing in nova, they have to pony up the
folks to do it.

The current team barely has enough resources to handle the current workload.

The reason I get irate about parallel testing efforts is that it does
nothing to actually increase the bandwidth of the infra team itself.

So - to sum up

- We should definitely test more things and more combinations of things
- We need people to become involved enough to actually take an active
hand in accomplishing whichever of those things they find important
- We would love more people to become involved enough that they become
part of the infra core team.
- Same as all the other projects - working with others instead of doing
something locally is always harder at first - but also sees a greater
long-term benefit for everyone involved.

Monty