[OpenStack-Infra] Talking is the first step.

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Wed Apr 24 14:50:30 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: Brian Lamar <brian.lamar at rackspace.com>

> So the question again becomes how can we get XenServer into the gate.

Hi Lamar,

I understand there is a long term goal to move towards larger scale testing on bare metal w/ TripleO, etc. I'm very interested in that myself too. In the short/mid term however perhaps using SmokeStack (which supports testing multiple/flexible configurations) would help cover the scenario you described below via pre-gate testing?

> I imagine it going something like this:
>

> 1) Hardware is provided with XenServer 6.1 installed

 SmokeStack currently runs a single node (all in one) XenServer 5.6 test on upstream branches and comments on them (pre-gate testing). It does this using 4 Dell R710's (provided by RAX). Why not upgrade these machines to XenServer 6.1 to cover this?

> 2) Script for Jenkins will boot XenServer VM on hardware provided

 SmokeStack uses this approach as well (via something called Kytoon).

> 3) VM will be configured using...devstack?

 SmokeStack uses Puppet w/ Fedora packages I maintain :). I understand people have various opinions on how to deploy things... but if it works w/ packages I would argue that is probably "close enough" to the test coverage you are looking for. The actual configuration that is used for XenServer testing is easily modifiable though so long as the puppet modules support it.

> 4) This script will be an unofficial gate (aka 3rd party gate) until
> it is considered stable
> 5) This script will be integrated into the official process either as
> a gate-gate or a periodic-gate

 SmokeStack comments on reviews pre-commit (via Bellows). It isn't a gate (that ship sailed at the Diablo conference) but it is a well defined 3rd party review tool ATM.

----

Not trying to derail this into a conversation about SmokeStack. But it does seem like it wouldn't take too much effort to be able to cover your concerns in the short/mid term via something that is already running and commenting on reviews upstream.

Dan