[OpenStack-Infra] Diablo/Essex bitrot job notifications

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Mon Nov 12 14:48:15 UTC 2012

Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> writes:

> Hi James,
>
> Just re-thinking an element of this bitrot job notifications thing ...
>
> The openstack-stable-maint list is being spammed with notifications of
> Diablo/Essex failures:
>
>   http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-stable-maint/2012-November/date.html
>   https://jenkins.openstack.org/view/Bitrot/
>
> But the stable-maint team is only responsible for the stable/folsom
> branch. There are separate essex-maint and diablo-maint teams.
>
> The Diablo/Essex failures should be addressed, but I'd prefer to not
> have those notifications hit the stable-maint list - I fear we're just
> training the team to ignore the notifications and we'll miss any Folsom
> failures when they crop up.

I agree -- if you (o-s-m) aren't going to fix it, then you're the wrong
people to get the notifications.  :)  Possible solutions:

1) Add a new list for each branch maint team and have jenkins target the
   separate lists.
2) Use mailman topics, and have jenkins send out messages with
   appropriate subjects.
3) Disable email notifications for all but the latest stable branch.

If needed, can you reply and add to the CC list the folks who are
maintaining the diablo and essex branches?

-Jim