[OpenStack-I18n] Stop translating non-UI projects for stable branches?

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Apr 27 06:29:17 UTC 2020

On 27.04.20 03:36, Akihiro Motoki wrote:

> Generally agree with the proposal, but we should consider what are actually
> translated in addition to the translation stats.
> From my knowledge, what we (not me :p but most translators) translate are
> dashboard strings (in stable branches) and release notes (in the master branch).
> Considering this, the proposal makes sense to me.
>
> I am replying one by one below.
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 3:06 AM Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 26/04/2020 19.56, Ian Y. Choi wrote:
>>> Let's discuss after Ussuri release. Agree with reflecting the current
>>> translator nature today.
>>
>> The change is WIP for now, I wanted to start the discussion so that we
>> can make a decision after Ussuri release.
>>

>>> Related thoughts and discussions might be:
>>>
>>> - List of UI projects: how we get this information?
>>
>> You have it already on translate.o.o with " Ussuri Dashboard translation
>> project list" UI = Dashboards
>
> I think Ian's point is how to maintain the list in Zanata with the
> minimum effort.
>
> In horizon, we generate horizon plugin lists based on the deliverable
> files in the releases repo.
> The script checks the deliverable type is "horizon-plugin". It is now
> run manually.
> https://opendev.org/openstack/horizon/src/branch/master/tools/list-horizon-plugins.py

This seldom changes, doesn't it? We should update the docs on which job
to run, so that teams following the docs make the right choice.

> Perhaps, you can do the similar thing combined with
> project-config/gerrit/projects.yaml
> which defines which projects turn on translation.
>
>>> - Target release: only for cycle-with-rc or including
>>> cycle-with-intermediary
>>>
>>> - I18n team needs to stay with deeper eyes on release model changes
>>> (e.g., Horizon's cycle-with-rc -> cycle-with-intermediary during Ussuri
>>> cycle) & translation effort (e.g., how many translations are going on
>>> many projects)
>>
>> I'm not understanding how these play a role here. Creating intermediate
>> releases does not create new branches, so no change needed.
>
> I think it affects when stable branches are created.
> For projects with cycle-with-rc, we can expect that stable branches
> are created at the week of RC1,
> but for projects with cycle-with-intermediary, it is up to individual
> teams and we cannot have
> the general expectation on when stable branches are created.

Ah, I see.

But nothing on the timng changes my proposal - that is more a question
on when to create branches, correct?

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com Twitter: jaegerandi
  SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D 90409 Nürnberg