[OpenStack-I18n] translated release note: import criteria and publishing

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 16:14:35 UTC 2017

> On Thursday, 9 March 2017, 14:31:50 CET, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> > I however wonder how you make sure in this situation that readers can
>>
>> navigate
>>
>> > properly through the release notes of a project if only some of them are
>> > translated. (How) do you fall back to the original if there's no
>>
>> translated
>>
>> > release notes document for a release?
>>
>> Actually the whole release notes are generated.
>> If corresponding strings are translated translated versions are used, and
>> if not original strings are used, so I think there is no navigation problem.
>> For example,
>> https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/horizon/ja/unreleased.html
>> contains untranslated strings. the same thing happens for untranslated
>> releases.
>
> From this page you can go back in time (previous and next topic in the left
> side menu), to access the previous releases.
>
> My concern is, if not all release notes files from all releases are published,
> then this navigation will break, even if you link back to the original
> language page.

How will the navigation break? I cannot understand what in your mind.
previous and next topic always exist even if they are not well translated.
This is what sphinx does.

More work will be needed if we want to publish only well translated page
and do not publish less translated pages. I have no good idea on this at now.

> On the other hand, if you publish translations for all releases,
> even if only one is above threshold, then this is not really helpful
> for users.

This is a valid concern.

I see two types of readers.
The one type of readers want to read release notes of various projects
of a specific release. For example, Ocata nova, neutron, cinder and so on.
The other is type of readers want to read release notes of several releases
of a specific project.

Perhaps I mainly take care of the former, and you mainly concerns the latter.
I have no perfect answer to this.
What is the good approach? All or nothing? Publish gradually?

In addition, if some translators are interested in a specific (or
recent) release(s),
do they have to translate all of releases? It requires much more
efforts to publish
translated version of release notes. More releases we have, more
translation required
to publish only recent releases.

I know there are several opinions, and this is the reason I raised
this topic to the ML.
Although there might be a line we can compromise, I would like to know
a consensus
of the I18n team before moving my approach forward.
I will once stop my response here and wait other opinions.

Do you all satisfy the current situation of release note translations?
What can we do gradually?