[OpenStack-I18n] Summary of how I18n affects with doc-migration

Ian Y. Choi ianyrchoi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 18:16:09 UTC 2017

Hello translators,

The OpenStack manuals project migration [1] has been going well,
and I would like to share what I have found which things influence on
I18n activities from the perspective of translators,
since some translators asked me about missing some openstack-manuals
documents in Zanata.

1. Removal of documents in openstack-manuals project in Zanata

In [2], the following documents are not currently visible
  : admin-guide, arch-design, networking-guide, ops-guide, user-guide .

For several release cycles, there have been less amount contribution on
admin-guide (migrating to each project tree)
and arch-design (deprecated). For networking-guide, translating in
stable-ocata will be preserved, but
master version was removed and the content will be migrated into neutron
repository.
User-guide will be migrated and divided between the horizon repository
and python-openstackclient repository.

If the strings for the migrated projects (admin-guide, networking-guide,
and user-guide) would be the same
as the removed strings in openstack-manuals, I18n team expects that
translation memory merge functionality
in Zanata would be able to fill out translations for the migrated projects.

Note that the translation support work of migrated documents will be
started after the migration completes
and I18n team need volunteers for the work.

2. Draft index page for translated documents was also removed

Previously, Docs team maintained draft documents for the master branch
(which will be the stable branch
after the official release and the document stables) on
https://docs.openstack.org/draft/draft-index.html page.
It also contained translated draft documents and I18n team accessed the
page to see whether translated documents
render well or not, and also review translated strings.

I did not notice when I saw the spec [1], but recently, I noticed that
the the draft-index.html page was deprecated
by [next-release-name]/index.haml (e.g.,
https://docs.openstack.org/pike/index.html ) [4].

Since I18n team encourages translation review for the better quality of
translations, it is a good idea to see
draft documents before language landing pages have the link to fully
translated and reviewed documents.

Motoki-san proposed an idea of translation status support using an yaml
file in openstack-manuals [5],
and I would like to discuss with I18n team how we deal with the change
of draft index page.

3. Archiving translated documents is also needed

Liberty translated documents (e.g., [6]) and translated documents which
were migrated (e.g., [7], [8])
are still accessible through docs.o.o. In my opinion, those translated
documents are also the target
of archiving documents [9]. For translated documents, I think just
publishing htmls as read-only (e.g., github pages?)
would be fine, and the work needs volunteers.

[1]
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/docs-specs/specs/pike/os-manuals-migration.html
[2]
https://translate.openstack.org/iteration/view/openstack-manuals/master/documents