[OpenStack-I18n] [openstack-dev] [stable] [all] Regarding string freeze and back ports involving translatable strings

Ian Y. Choi ianyrchoi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 11:02:29 UTC 2016

Hello,

First of all, a little bit sorry for following this thread late. I am a
Korean translator.

Translation is also one of important and vital parts within OpenStack
"Big Tent".

Although the hard string freeze period before final release date is only
for 3 weeks,
many I18n language teams focus on translations during that period
intensively.
For example, Horizon translation results on lots of languages have been
already included since several past releases.
For nova and many other projects, the translation focus depends on
different language teams.

Luigi Toscano wrote on 9/12/2016 9:04 PM:
> On Friday, 9 September 2016 14:12:51 CEST Matt Riedemann wrote:

>>> So this stance makes sense to me, but I can't reconcile it with the
>>> "hard string freeze" rules. Is the theory that after we release, the
>>> string freeze ends for the stable branch, and that the hard string
>>> freeze only exists for that 3 week period between RC1 and final release,
>>> or is the theory that hard string freeze is always subject to exceptions
>>> for "critical" bug fixes?
>>>
>> I treat it as the former.
> Interesting: I'm not a translator in the OpenStack project, but I contribute
> as translator to other Free Software communities and I would thought as the
> latter as more appropriate. Stable is stable and string changes should be
> approved on a case-by-case, otherwise translator's life can be more
> complicated especially when the next release is translated.
>
> But as I said I'm not a translator here.

Currently my suggestion is the latter, not former,
and if some exception is needed, then writing and sharing such as
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-i18n/2016-September/002402.html
would be nice.

However, it seems that there are some more things to be elaborated such as:

- Need to identify how many projects are interested in translation
especially for hard string freeze
   in different language teams
- Although strings are hard-freezed, some strings will not appropriate
to be translatable.
   It can be from misuse of ungettext() and ungettext_lazy() functions.
- Or translators may find source string typos. Should they be included
into stable branch?
- Notification to exceptional cases to I18n team is needed.
- ...

I would like to copy this thread to openstack-i18n mailing list, and
also discuss those things with many translators
to find great solutions.
If there is some better idea, please share it :)