[OpenStack-I18n] First stable/newton branches created

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 02:30:15 UTC 2016

Hi Ian,

> Hello Andreas and i18n team members,
>
> Yesterday (according to UTC), Kato-san and me discussed this topic in IRC
> meeting [1],
>     but we are not sure when we will have stable-newton branch.
> I think it is time to create stable-newton branch now and Kato-san will deal
> with,
> but I would like to ask some details to clarify the best timing of creating
> a stable branch.
>
> When should i18n team create a stable branch (e.g., stable-newton) in
> Zanata?

Although I am not familiar with Zanata operations, I think the i18n
team needs to
create 'stable-newton' version by branching 'master' version in Zanata
to inherit
translation works made in the master version so far.

In my understanding, what we need to do are:
(a) create stable-newton version in Zanata from master version -> i18n team
(b) release RC1 deliverables and create stable/newton branch in git
repositories -> each project team and release team
(c) set up project-config to sync repositories and translations for
stable/newton -> infra team (I can as well)

There is no strict relationship between (a) and (b), and either of
them can happen first.
If the timing of (a) and (b) are closer, most translation work in
'master' in Zanata are copied into 'stable-newton' version.
(c) needs to be done after both (a) and (b).

> I thought just after from "Hard StringFreeze" in [2] would be the right
> time,
> or checking at least Horizon development status (since the focus of i18n
> team now is Horizon related projects)
> would be needed. (Previously we had I18n cross project liaisons [3].)

To be honest, RC1 release means 'Hard String Freeze'. That's all.
We can know RC1 release notices by various ways:
- checking release announcements,
- checking openstack/releases reviews [5],
- checking releases.openstack.org [6]

I think we should prepare stable-newton version in Zanata for all projects,
even though most of the i18n team focus on horizon related translations.

I am not sure i18n liaisons for horizon related projects work in this cycle.
We have sent no reminder for i18n liaisons...
In the previous release, I took care of horizon related projects but
it is beyond
the role of horizon-i18n liaison and I am not taking care of them
(except horizon itself).

Horizon RC1 will be shipped in several hours. The team is preparing
the release now.

[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/releases+path:%255Edeliverables/newton/.*
[6] https://releases.openstack.org/newton/index.html