[OpenStack-I18n] [OpenStack-docs] No document string freeze on stable branch?

Ian Y. Choi ianyrchoi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 23:50:29 UTC 2016

Hello,

Matt Kassawara wrote on 10/11/2016 7:56 AM:
> For a moment, let's assume Newton isn't released yet because
> openstack-manuals hasn't branched yet.

I have also heard that stable/newton branch will be released around
Barcelona Summit.
I am waiting for new documentation release to create corresponding
stable versions in Zanata (translation platform).

> I'm working on some significant beneficial changes to the networking
> guide that resolve a number of issues we probably should have
> addressed a while ago... ideally before the release of Mitaka... but I
> couldn't accomplish it and no one else contributes to this particular
> content. The networking guide isn't continuously published. When my
> changes to it merge in master, they are essentially invisible to
> operators until the next release. Operators often run a stable release
> or two behind master. Thus, only merging in master (which becomes the
> next release) limits the audience of the changes. Backporting such
> changes to the prior release (if they apply) makes them visible to a
> wider audience. Furthermore, this particular patch resolves a number
> of issues with the Mitaka content. Finally, doesn't the same issue of
> translation apply to continuous-release content such as the admin guide?

I18n team set *install-guide (+common)* and *networking-guide* as
documentation translation targets for Mitaka.
(For Newton, I need to identify targets with discussions later.)
Since admin-guide translation occurred in master branch and also is not
main translation target, continuous-release in admin-guide is fine
currently to translators.

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com
> <mailto:amotoki at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Correction.

>     <mailto:amotoki at gmail.com>>:
>
>         Does the openstack-manuals project allow a big refactoring in
>         **stable** branches?
>
>         I saw a big refactoring on the networking guide was merged in
>         the master branch
>         and it was backported into stable/mitaka branch.
>
>         As a result of the backport, 25% of Japanese Mitaka Networking
>         Guide translation.
>

>     As a result of the backport, 25% of Japanese Mitaka Networking
>     Guide translation was lost.
>
>         I was really shocked that such thing happened in a stable branch.
>         If the project allows such backport, translators will easily
>         lose their translation
>         and it implicitly means the project suggests not to translate it.
>
>         I would like to know the policy of the docs stable branch
>         maintenance.

+1

And a sort of notification to translators if lots of changes on stable
branches are going to be applied would be needed..