[OpenStack-I18n] Next generation translation checksite

Ian Y. Choi ianyrchoi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 17:03:34 UTC 2016

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for so steady and kind effort,
especially Frank!
As I wrote my candidacy for Ocata PTL [1], I would like to set
translation checksite also high priority in I18n team.

We now have two horizon checksites, though those are not in openstack-infra.
One is what Frank mentioned, and the other is what Akihiro-san shared
about 3 weeks ago [2].
I have just checked that both work well currently.

And also, Akihiro-san happily shared how to create and just update
Horizon for translation checksite using DevStack [3].
Frank, what do you think about Akihiro's documentation?
I have heard from him that DevStack is more stable than previously.

Frankly speaking, I am not familiar with Ansible too much.
Fortunately, I have learned Ansible briefly as OpenStack Korea study
group activities for about last two months,
but I need to take more time to see details on Frank's implementation..

For openstack-ansible, from my current understanding, the deployment
time to create all of things
(e.g., nova, neutron, ...) to fully refresh with "up-to-date sources"
will be the same whether we will use DevStack or openstack-ansible.
Isn't it?
One cons using DevStack is that DevStack does not support
rejoin-stack.sh anymore [4], as Frank wrote in Etherpad.
But I think using openstack-ansible with up-to-date sources would have
the same situation.
Does Ansible-based deployment support update mechanism with up-to-date
sources?

By the way, when I see [5] and related threads again, a few more things
need to be considered I think:
  - Ansible looks more fancy than DevStack. But in my opinion, failure
in Ansible is also possible as DevStack fails to fully operate.
  - Re-deploying DevStack once a week seems to be unnecessary.
    Once we have clean DevStack instance just after soft freeze period,
then I think just updating Horizon would be fine
    (assuming that we have nice agreement on string change criteria
after soft freezing).
  - After new release and there will be a stable branch on
openstack-ansible and/or DevStack,
    the translation checksite needs to be re-deployed with the stable
branch.
  - Translation checksite will be public? What I mean is that
translation checksite should be accessible only to
    translators (who have Zanata ID), or OpenStack Foundation members
(who have OpenStack Foundation ID and can openstackid auth)?

In fact, it is not easy for me to follow all of the things on
translation checksite, but I will try to follow more
and let's discuss on this.

And I am copying it with Elizabeth.
Elizabeth, how do you think about Frank's idea?

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-i18n/2016-September/002406.html
[2]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-i18n/2016-September/002420.html