[Openstack-i18n] Criteria of Horizon language list forMitakarelease

Douglas Fish drfish at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 22 14:37:20 UTC 2016

I am aware of this additional bug for Liberty:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1502326
where we adjusted the list of languages available by default. In Liberty we
did not use the same criteria for deciding to include the PO files in the
project that we did for including a language in the selection widget in the
UI. Looking back, that seems like a strange choice now.

Looking in horizon/openstack_dashboard/locale I see there are 30 or so
langauges. I know we don't have that many languages translated to 66% in
Horizon. Is there some cleanup that is still remaining, or is this the
result of the criteria not quite matching what I'd expect?

Doug Fish

Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote on 03/22/2016 09:10:48 AM:

> From: Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>
> To: Douglas Fish/Rochester/IBM at IBMUS
> Cc: Ying Chun Guo <guoyingc at cn.ibm.com>, "openstack-
> i18n at lists.openstack.org" <openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org>
> Date: 03/22/2016 09:12 AM
> Subject: Re: [Openstack-i18n] Criteria of Horizon language list
> forMitakarelease
>
> Hi Doug and all,
>
> I needed to spend some time to look for the history.
> Roughly speaking our history can be broken donw into three categories:
>
> [1] Liberty Horizon
> [2] documentation translation from 2014.
> [3] up to Kilo Horizon
>
> I think following the history clarified what happened.
>
> ---
> [1] Liberty Horizon
> In Liberty, we migrated the translation platform to Zanata and all
> imports were done by Jenkins jobs (thanks to Andreas).
>
> [2] documentation translation from 2014
> In parallel, there was the ongoing efforts to automate documentation
> translations.
> The thread is [2] and we discussed the threshold for translation
> addition (75%) and removal (60%).
> It is documented very well at
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Translations/Infrastructure.
>
> [3] up to Kilo Horizon
> The following are my translation import patch for Horizon up to Kilo:
> * KIlo : https://github.com/openstack/horizon/commit/
> 56d5683c8c49558ae22200bc01ec87ea83144003
>   (The commit message was wrong not Juno but Kilo :p)
> * Juno : https://github.com/openstack/horizon/commit/
> 9b0ba951c07af13aa4c386b19876474b971e7946
> * Icehouse : https://github.com/openstack/horizon/commit/
> a9cf547d20065b2bd49e101364b46cffed4b6aee
> * Havana : https://github.com/openstack/horizon/commit/
> 4910222356fbd2aeb0dab1b3cebe00330c2641f7
>
> All of these commit messages said "Import ~100% completed translaitons".
> It seems we used almost all are translated.
> I could not find the meeting log where we discussed this criteria
> first for Havana or Icehouse.
> According to [1] it seems we had the criteria of 95% for Juno.
> ---
> commit 56d5683c8c49558ae22200bc01ec87ea83144003
> Author: Akihiro Motoki <motoki at da.jp.nec.com>
> Date:   Thu Apr 23 06:58:49 2015 +0900
>
>     Import translations from Transifex for Juno
>
>     * Import ~100% completed translations
>       (translations available for 12 languages)
>     * Delete incomplete languages
>     * Update language list in openstack_dashboard settings.py
> ---
>
> That's all what I succeeded to gather.
>
> Akihiro
>
> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-i18n/2014-
> October/000806.html
> [2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-i18n/2014-
> October/thread.html#813

> > Akihiro,
> >
> > I've been trying to find where we documented the 90% cutoff used by
Horizon