[Openstack-i18n] What's Up, Doc? 4 March 2016

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Mar 4 04:44:14 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

This week I've been concentrating on getting ready for the release, and I'm very pleased to announce that we now have not one but two release managers for Mitaka. Please welcome Brian and Olga, thanks to you both for stepping up to the challenge! I'm looking forward to working with you both to get this out the door. We also completed the docs core team review, with no changes for this month. Install Guide testing is now well underway, but we can always use more hands, so please consider getting involved. If you need help getting started, please contact Matt Kassawara, or any docs core.

== Progress towards Mitaka ==

33 days to go!

465 bugs closed so far for this release. There is a global bug smash event next week to try and hit as many Mitaka bugs as possible. You can join an in-person group near you, or participate remotely. Details here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/OpenStack-Bug-Smash-Mitaka

Docs Testing
* Volunteers required!
* https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MitakaDocTesting

API Docs
I'm very pleased to announce that Anne and the API docs team have managed to get HTML generation working directly from Swagger now. This is a massive leap forward for the API docs conversion. Well done to everyone involved!

Release Managers:
We now have two release managers for Mitaka: Brian Moss, and Olga Gusarenko. They'll be making sure we stay on track as we hurtle towards 7 April, and will be backed up by Anne, Andreas, myself, and of course our lovely core team.

== The Road to Austin ==

* The final round of ATC passes have now gone out.
* I have requested workrooms and fishbowls for the Austin Design Summit. I'll let you know when we get our allocation.
* You should be starting to think about booking travel and accommodation soon! If you need a visa to travel to the United States, there's more info here: https://www.openstack.org/summit/austin-2016/austin-and-travel/#visa

== Core Team reviews ==

I completed the core team review for March this week, and we decided to make no changes. We did, however, have some discussion about the stats we use to determine the core team membership. I currently use the 30 and 90 day russellbryant stats for determining review participation, and Stackalytics for commit participation, with emphasis being on the top 12 participants in each category. Feedback on the core team selection process is, as always, welcome. It is documented here: http://docs.openstack.org/contributor-guide/docs-review.html#achieving-a-core-reviewer-status

== Speciality Teams ==

'''HA Guide - Bogdan Dobrelya'''
No update this week.

'''Installation Guide - Matt Kassawara'''
More patches and testing for Mitaka.

'''Networking Guide - Edgar Magana'''
No update this week.

'''Security Guide - Nathaniel Dillon'''
No update this week.

'''User Guides - Joseph Robinson'''
A patch for the reorganisation is under review - shifting the command line content in the admin user guide to the cloud admin guide. Following this patch merging, the next step is moving down the task list, and completing edits to the content in the Cloud Admin guide to improve the document.

'''Ops and Arch Guides - Shilla Saebi'''
The work items for the Architecture Design Guide converted to bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bugs?field.tag=arch-guide We still need people to confirm the bugs.
Call for volunteers email went out to the ops and docs ML from Devon Boatwright. We are still looking for help, not getting many responses. Considering doing a swarm or work session at the summit in Austin for the Arch guide

'''API Docs - Anne Gentle'''
Patch fixing three of remaining 7 WADL bugs here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/283114/
Patch that builds HTML from Swagger files here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/286659/ This gets us over a big hurdle of making fairy-slipper "feature complete" while also ensuring the migration is complete. Great week, huge shoutout and thanks to Michael Krotscheck for the node/npm solution for building HTML.

'''Config Ref - Gauvain Pocentek'''
No update this week.

'''Training labs - Pranav Salunke, Roger Luethi'''
No update this week.

'''Training Guides - Matjaz Pancur'''
"Getting started" module for Training guides is published (http://docs.openstack.org/draft/training-guides/). Added "Local trainings" chapter to the Upstream training archive (http://docs.openstack.org/upstream-training/upstream-archives.html), cleanup patches (unused extensions, text redundancies and cleanup). Team meetings will be held on 1st and 3rd week in the month.

'''Hypervisor Tuning Guide - Joe Topjian'''
No update this week.

'''UX/UI Docs Guidelines - Linette Williams'''
Reviews continue for proposed UI panels in Invision

== Doc team meeting ==

Next meetings:

The US meeting was held this week, at the new time. You can read the minutes here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2016-03-02

Next meetings:
APAC: Wednesday 9 March, 00:30 UTC
US: Wednesday 16 March, 19:00 UTC ***Note the new time!***

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

- --

Keep on doc'ing!

Lana