[Openstack-i18n] [stable][i18n] What is the backport policy on i18n changes?

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Thu Feb 18 07:48:57 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-18 01:16, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> I don't think we have an official policy for stable backports with
> respect to translatable string changes.
>
> I'm looking at a release request for ironic-inspector on stable/liberty
> [1] and one of the changes in that has translatable string changes to
> user-facing error messages [2].
>
> mrunge brought up this issue in the stable team meeting this week also
> since Horizon has to be extra careful about backporting changes with
> translatable string changes.
>
> I think on the server side, if they are changes that just go in the
> logs, it's not a huge issue. But for user facing changes, should we
> treat those like StringFreeze [3]? Or only if the stable branches for
> the given project aren't getting translation updates? I know the server
> projects (at least nova) is still get translation updates on
> stable/liberty so if we do backport changes with translatable string
> updates, they aren't getting updated in stable. I don't see anything
> like that happening for ironic-inspector on stable/liberty though.

We only have very few projects that have active translations for
stable/liberty, see
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Translations/Infrastructure#Project_list .

ironic-inspector is not part of it - so, I suggest to not care about it.

Note: I'm not sure what the best way is for projects that have active
translations. I think we should try not to *break* existing translations
there,

Andreas

> Thoughts?

> [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/279071/1/ironic_inspector/process.py