[Openstack-i18n] What's Up, Doc? 6 Feb 2016

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Sat Feb 6 04:10:39 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

A busy week here in docs, with today marking only two months left until Mitaka goes out. I've been working on the DocImpact script, the core team review, and a whole lot of general chasing things up and tidying around the place. I also note that the Installation Guide team is busy ramping up for Mitaka, so watch this space for your opportunity to jump into testing for that very soon. Next week, I'll be cleaning up the blueprints, and also starting to get in touch with our packaging contacts to get ready for release.

== Progress towards Mitaka ==

60 days to go!

382 bugs closed so far for this release.

RST Conversions
* All planned RST conversions are now complete!

Reorganisations
* Arch Guide: really needs a last minute push to get this complete before Mitaka. If you can help out, it would be greatly appreciated!
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/archguide-mitaka-reorg
** Contact the Ops Guide Speciality team: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/OpsGuide
* User Guides
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/user-guides-reorganised
** Contact the User Guide Speciality team: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/User_Guides

DocImpact
* The implementation plan for the DocImpact script changed after we received feedback from Infra and Nova. Now, *all* projects (including the five 'defcore' projects) default to opening DocImpact bugs in their own bug queues. This change was proposed in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/276065/ and merged yesterday, very quickly!  Projects will now be able to determine for themselves how they would like to use the DocImpact script within their own groups, and hopefully the quality of bug reporting to docs will improve dramatically as a result of this. I'd like to thank all the PTLs, cross-project liaisons, project core team members, and especially the Infra and Nova teams for their assistance and patience while we worked through this knotty problem. I'm happy to be able to report that, as of today, this project is now complete.

== Speciality Teams ==

'''HA Guide - Bogdan Dobrelya'''
No update this week.

'''Installation Guide - Christian Berendt'''
Mitaka Installation guide changes spec: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/274231/

'''Networking Guide - Edgar Magana'''
No update this week.

'''Security Guide - Nathaniel Dillon'''
RST bug fixes and cleaning up of lingering migration issues. Looking for Neutron reviewers to see what is still accurate and what needs to be updated, please ping Nathaniel. Looking to setup PDF creation job.

'''User Guides - Joseph Robinson'''
An action item from last meeting was addressed this week - working with new User Guide team members to continue reorganisation edits. Plans for an earlier, US+EU meeting, which would roll into an APAC meeting on Wednesday/Thursday fortnightly meeting times are in place.

'''Ops and Arch Guides - Shilla Saebi'''
Architecture guide reorganization is underway. We have a drafts repo in openstack-manuals, feel free to ping Shilla or Darren Chan if you are interested in helping out. Considering doing a swarm or work session at the summit in Austin for the Arch guide. Operations guide RST migration pending - conversations still happening to see which route we'll take. Still deciding if the ops guide should have another revision or edition, see ML emails.

'''API Docs - Anne Gentle'''
Continuing to work on builds of Swagger plus RST.

'''Config Ref - Gauvain Pocentek'''
No update this week.

'''Training labs - Pranav Salunke, Roger Luethi'''
Liberty support has been merged. The new default for training-labs clusters is the Liberty release.

'''Training Guides - Matjaz Pancur'''
Removal of redundant Jenkins jobs (gate-training-guides-tox-slides) and tox targets. Upstream training archives (http://docs.openstack.org/upstream-training/upstream-archives.html) are now separated from the main landing page.

'''Hypervisor Tuning Guide - Joe Topjian'''
No update this week.

'''UX/UI Docs Guidelines - Linette Williams'''
Collaboration between the UX project and Doc project. The first UI text guidelines are live: http://docs.openstack.org/contributor-guide/ui-text-guidelines.html. Enhancements to guidelines in progress - specifically related to icons and text formatting. Text reviews are ongoing for new UI prototypes, as applicable. If interested in helping with UI panel reviews or with UI text guidelines,  feel free to ping Linette or Piet Kruithof.

== Doc team meeting ==

Next meetings:

The US meeting was held this week, you can read the minutes here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2016-01-20

Next meetings:
APAC: Wednesday 10 February, 00:30 UTC
US: Wednesday 17 February, 14:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

Note that there is currently discussion about moving the US meeting to 20:00 UTC. A patch is open to change this, with ongoing discussion about finding a meeting room: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/271361/

- --

Keep on doc'ing!

Lana

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/WhatsUpDoc#6_February_2016