[OpenStack-I18n] formatted source text

Robert Simai robert.simai at suse.com
Tue Dec 6 08:34:47 UTC 2016

Hi Brian,

On Monday 05 December 2016, 09:42:21 Brian Rosmaita
<rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Several projects recently enhanced the help text for configuration
> options.  In Glance, this has resulted in strings like [0] (and there
> are lots of other examples in that file).
>
> For those strings, the exact formatting isn't essential, but the
> paragraphing and bulleted lists are important.

I see and agree, this text will lose meaning without the format.

> My question is whether having this text in a single block of
> triple-quotes (as it is now) is useful to translators (so you can see
> the entire context), or whether there's a way you'd prefer it to be
> broken up so that it works better with Zanata.

Looked up your example in Zanata and must say find it horrible to translate.
But interestingly, Zanata at least allows to save the translation with just
"warnings" (not errors), if the amount of lines doesn't match. I've seen
this as real "errors" in other projects where you can only save as "fuzzy".

However, looking at the text and its purpose, this is not for any GUI but
console output and I guess that's why you limit line length to less than 72
characters, don't you? That would be a convention to clarify with the
translators but isn't easy to achieve with the Zanata UI (it uses
it 80+ characters it may easily kill the formatting.

I may not help to put things into perspective for the translators but I
finally think that the text block from your example is way too big and
should be broken down to (many!) strings. The translator shouldn't need to
take care of the amount of lines, line breaks, line lengths or leading
spaces. Formatting, if desired, needs to happen at another place, within the
application that does the output and may depend on screen details (e.g.
terminal width for console stuff).

> When we added all these blocks of text in Newton, we were focused on
> making things easier for operators, and didn't realize that it would
> cause problems for translators ... sorry about that!

Let's call it an inconvenience, not a problem ;-)

   Robert