[Openstack-i18n] What's Up, Doc? 4 September, 2015

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Sep 4 06:25:09 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

This has been a fairly busy week, with Summit preparations beginning,
more newly migrated RST books going live, and testing starting on the
Install Guide. I've been spending time on sorting out the Liberty
blueprints still outstanding, and also working on some old bugs.

== Progress towards Liberty ==

40 days to go!

* RST conversion:
** Is now completed! Well done and a huge thank you to everyone who
converted pages, approved reviews, and participated in publishing the
new guides. This was a truly phenomenal effort :)

* User Guides information architecture overhaul
** Some user analysis has begun, and we have a new blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/user-guides-reo
rganised

* Greater focus on helping out devs with docs in their repo
** A certain amount of progress has been made here, and some wrinkles
sorted out which will improve this process for the future.

* Improve how we communicate with and support our corporate contributors
** If you currently work on documentation for a company that would like
to improve their upstream commits for documentation, please contact me!

* Improve communication with Docs Liaisons
** I'm very pleased to see liaisons getting more involved in our bugs
and reviews. Keep up the good work!

* Clearing out old bugs
** The last lot of old bugs are still languishing. I'm assuming you all
hate them so very much that I've decided to give you three more to pick
from. Have at it!

== Countdown to Summit ==

With the Liberty release less than two months away, that means it's
nearly Summit time again: https://www.openstack.org/summit/tokyo-2015/

The schedule has now been released, congratulations to everyone who had
a talk accepted this time around:
https://www.openstack.org/summit/tokyo-2015/schedule/

All ATCs should have received their pass by now, so now is the time to
be booking your travel and accommodation:
https://www.openstack.org/summit/tokyo-2015/tokyo-and-travel/

== Conventions ==

A new governance patch has landed which changes the way we capitalise
service names (I know almost exactly 50% of you will be happy about
this!):
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Conventions#Service_and_pr
oject_names
Please be aware of this when editing files, and remember that the
'source of truth' for these things is the projects.yaml file:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/projec
ts.yaml

== Docs Tools ==

openstack-doc-tools 0.30.0 and openstackdocstheme 1.2.1 have been
released. openstack-doc-tools allows translation of the Install Guide.
openstackdocstheme contains fixes for the inclusion of metatags, removes
unused images and javascript files, and fixes the "Docs Home" link.

== Doc team meeting ==

The APAC meeting was not held this week. The minutes from the previous
US meeting are here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2015-08-26

The next meetings are:
US: Wednesday 9 September, 14:00:00 UTC
APAC: Wednesday 16 September, 00:30:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_
meeting

== Spotlight bugs for this week ==

Let's give these three a little love:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1280092 end user guide
lacks doc on admin password injection

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1282765 Chapter 6.
Block Storage in OpenStack Cloud Administrator Guide

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1284215 Driver for IBM
SONAS and Storwize V7000 Unified

- --

Remember, if you have content you would like to add to this newsletter,
or you would like to be added to the distribution list, please email me
directly at openstack at lanabrindley.com, or visit:
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Documentation/WhatsUpDoc

Keep on doc'ing!

Lana