[Openstack-i18n] Translating RST source with Sphinx builds

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Mon Feb 2 14:05:35 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We're preparing to migrate user guides to RST to improve ease of authoring
for documentation. The spec [1] is now published, and we've got a research
item for a toolchain that can "slice" RST similar to the DocBook slicing we
do now.

Reading the Sphinx documentation,  it seems that you can run sphinx-build
-b get-text to extract translatable strings to get a collection of .po
files.

This seems very similar to our current docbook slicing script. Does anyone
have time this release to go through the RST files we're creating with the
Sphinx workflow and analyze the results?

I don't intend to publish the RST-based user guides until we have agreement
on the translation toolchain, so we have until April 9, but ideally we'll
have answers this month -- originally on the spec I wanted answers by last
month, but without a lot of complex RST to test there wasn't a great way to
research. Now that we are getting more RST files in
openstack/openstack-manuals/doc/playground-user-guide [3] I would
appreciate help here.

Thanks,
Anne

1.