[Openstack-i18n] User Guides Changes

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Thu Apr 9 13:34:18 UTC 2015

I did an assessment of the string changes affected by this action,
in order to evaluate the extra workload for translators to translate the
new versions,
assuming the old version of DocBook pot files are 100% completed
translation.

I download the English source files of these following resources from
Transifex:
openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guides ( RST format )
openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide ( DocBook format )
openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide-admin ( DocBook format )

openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guides is the new RST document, which is a
combination of openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide
and openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide-admin, including new contents and
changes.

I found three types of changes:
1. all strings including XML markups are changed, XML markups being
removed, replacing with RST format characters.
e.g.
"To perform a hard reboot, pass the <parameter>--hard</parameter>
parameter, "
"as follows:"
is changed to:
"To perform a hard reboot, pass the ``--hard`` parameter, as follows::"

2. some strings are added ** and ** as prefix and suffix.
e.g.
"Removal or addition of segment objects"
is changed to
"**Removal or addition of segment objects**"

3. all strings ending with ":" are changed, ending with "::" instead.
e.g.
"To perform an instance reboot into rescue mode, run the following
command:"
is changed to
"To perform an instance reboot into rescue mode, run the following
command::"

Then I calculated the numbers of strings.

openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide (old docbook ) has 2005 strings,
including
779 (39%) strings exactly moved to new RST pot,
1226 (61%) strings which are either changed (mostly) or removed.

openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide-admin (old docbook ) has 653 strings,
including
277 strings (42%) exactly moved to RST pot,
376 strings (58%) which are either changed (mostly) or removed.

openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guides ( new RST ) has 2892 strings, including
779 (27%) strings exactly
matched strings in user-guide, 277 (10%) strings exactly matched strings in
user-guide-admin,
and 1861 (64%) strings matched nothing.

That means, if translators have 100% completed
openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide and
openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide-admin translation,
the translation completion rate for the new RST file is 36%.

After a deep dive of the new RST pot file, there are 196 strings ending
with double colon and 70 strings with prefix ** and suffix **.
If we use scripts to change those strings and make them exactly match, the
auto completion rate could be improved from 36% to 45%.

As to the XML markup changes, they are quite difficult to auto match.
openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide has 25% strings including XML markups,
and
openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide-admin has 33% strings including XML
markups.
We might have to change manually.

But, no team has big progress with user-guide-admin and user-guide
translation, except Japanese team.
So I think, the tolerance to manually change the translations are
acceptable.

BTW, my analysis has nothing with the translators feeling to RST markups.
In my mind, while I translate DocBook, I have to copy XML markups.
The same happen to me if I translate RST books. I have to copy RST markups.
I just need to understand which words are RST markups and should not be
translated.
Maybe doc team could give us a list of these special RST markups for us to
reference.

@ translation teams, the attachment is the strings in the new RST pot file
which cannot find an existing matched string.
You may take a look at it and let us know your feeling is.

Thank you.

Best regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)

(See attached file: new strings all.po)