[Openstack-i18n] User Guides Changes

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Thu Apr 9 18:03:31 UTC 2015

On 04/09/2015 03:43 PM, Ying Chun Guo wrote:
> I did an assessment of the string changes affected by this action,
> in order to evaluate the extra workload for translators to translate the
> new versions,
> assuming the old version of DocBook pot files are 100% completed
> translation.
>
> I download the English source files of these following resources from
> Transifex:
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guides ( RST format )
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide ( DocBook format )
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide-admin ( DocBook format )
>
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guides is the new RST document, which is a
> combination of openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide
> and openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide-admin, including new contents and
> changes.
>
> I found three types of changes:
> 1. all strings including XML markups are changed, XML markups being
> removed, replacing with RST format characters.
> e.g.
> "To perform a hard reboot, pass the <parameter>--hard</parameter>
> parameter, "
> "as follows:"
> is changed to:
> "To perform a hard reboot, pass the ``--hard`` parameter, as follows::"
>
> 2. some strings are added ** and ** as prefix and suffix.
> e.g.
> "Removal or addition of segment objects"
> is changed to
> "**Removal or addition of segment objects**"
>
> 3. all strings ending with ":" are changed, ending with "::" instead.
> e.g.
> "To perform an instance reboot into rescue mode, run the following command:"
> is changed to
> "To perform an instance reboot into rescue mode, run the following
> command::"
>
> Then I calculated the numbers of strings.
>
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide (old docbook ) has 2005 strings, including
> 779 (39%) strings exactly moved to new RST pot,
> 1226 (61%) strings which are either changed (mostly) or removed.
>
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide-admin (old docbook ) has 653 strings,
> including
> 277 strings (42%) exactly moved to RST pot,
> 376 strings (58%) which are either changed (mostly) or removed.
>
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guides ( new RST ) has 2892 strings,
> including 779 (27%) strings exactly
> matched strings in user-guide, 277 (10%) strings exactly matched strings
> in user-guide-admin,
> and 1861 (64%) strings matched nothing.
>
> That means, if translators have 100% completed
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide and
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide-admin translation,
> the translation completion rate for the new RST file is 36%.
>
> After a deep dive of the new RST pot file, there are 196 strings ending
> with double colon and 70 strings with prefix ** and suffix **.
> If we use scripts to change those strings and make them exactly match,
> the auto completion rate could be improved from 36% to 45%.

> [...]

I've made the suggested changes and uploaded new strings.

This morning we had 934 translated Japanese strings, now we're at 1076,
so this goes from 32 % to 37 %. Similar for other languages.

If you have further ideas of how to convert strings in old files to
strings in new ones, I can do the transform (if there's a regex for
doing it) and import new strings again.

I'll import now the Japanese strings manually so that we have the
building of translated manuals working as well -
https://review.openstack.org/162424

For now let's not publish the manual, since no guide is fully
translated. But let's use this for checking that the toolchain works
properly,

With all this done, are there any further blockers for the user Guide
transition?

Daisy, do you think we can move forward now?

Andreas
    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
        Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)