[Openstack-i18n] User Guides Changes

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Apr 9 14:14:59 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Ying Chun Guo <guoyingc at cn.ibm.com> wrote:

> [...]
> "as follows:"
> is changed to:
> "To perform a hard reboot, pass the ``--hard`` parameter, as follows::"
>
> 2. some strings are added ** and ** as prefix and suffix.
> e.g.
> "Removal or addition of segment objects"
> is changed to
> "**Removal or addition of segment objects**"
>
> 3. all strings ending with ":" are changed, ending with "::" instead.
> e.g.
> "To perform an instance reboot into rescue mode, run the following
> command:"
> is changed to
> "To perform an instance reboot into rescue mode, run the following
> command::"
>
> Then I calculated the numbers of strings.
>
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide (old docbook ) has 2005 strings,
> including
> 779 (39%) strings exactly moved to new RST pot,
> 1226 (61%) strings which are either changed (mostly) or removed.
>
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide-admin (old docbook ) has 653 strings,
> including
> 277 strings (42%) exactly moved to RST pot,
> 376 strings (58%) which are either changed (mostly) or removed.
>
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guides ( new RST ) has 2892 strings,
> including 779 (27%) strings exactly
> matched strings in user-guide, 277 (10%) strings exactly matched strings
> in user-guide-admin,
> and 1861 (64%) strings matched nothing.
>
> That means, if translators have 100% completed
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide and
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide-admin translation,
> the translation completion rate for the new RST file is 36%.
>
> After a deep dive of the new RST pot file, there are 196 strings ending
> with double colon and 70 strings with prefix ** and suffix **.
> If we use scripts to change those strings and make them exactly match, the
> auto completion rate could be improved from 36% to 45%.
>
> As to the XML markup changes, they are quite difficult to auto match.
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide has 25% strings including XML markups,
> and
> openstack-manuals-i18n.user-guide-admin has 33% strings including XML
> markups.
> We might have to change manually.
>
> But, no team has big progress with user-guide-admin and user-guide translation,
> except Japanese team.
> So I think, the tolerance to manually change the translations are
> acceptable.
>
> Thanks for this thorough analysis. This information is extremely helpful.

> BTW, my analysis has nothing with the translators feeling to RST markups.
> In my mind, while I translate DocBook, I have to copy XML markups.
> The same happen to me if I translate RST books. I have to copy RST markups.
> I just need to understand which words are RST markups and should not be
> translated.
> Maybe doc team could give us a list of these special RST markups for us to

Agreed. Andreas has completely gone through our conventions and indicated
the equivalent markups in DocBook and RST.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Markup_conventions

For example, <filename>nova.conf</filename> in DocBook becomes
:file:`nova.conf` in RST, as shown in this section:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Markup_conventions#File_name_or_path

Do you have a list of "ignored" markup already? We could take a look and
see if a mapping is fairly straightforward based on what we have.

Thanks,
Anne