[Openstack-i18n] FUEL-CLOUD : Frequently used entries for Localization of cloud technologies

Rajesh Ranjan rajeshkajha at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 10:18:50 UTC 2014

Hi Akihiro,

Thanks!

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 9:18 PM, Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chandan,
>
> I looked at the URL of FUEL CLOUD, but I still have some points unclear to
> me.
> It seems FUEL project tries to collect and built some kind of glossary
> (on cloud?).
> As the OpenStack community, we have the documentation team and most/some of
> them (including me) are involved in the documentation activity.
> What I am not sure is you are hoping feedback to the glossary itself or
> localized versions of glossary.

FUEL stands for "frequently used entries for localization". FUEL is
adopting modular structure when dealing with glossary creation for the use
of translation. We were having module called fuel-desktop, fuel-mobile and
fuel-web containing entry list from Desktop, Mobile and Web domain
respectively. To understand it much clear way I am trying to elaborate the
process. Just for example, if we take fuel-cloud, Chandan has proposed FUEL
Project for creating a module for cloud technology. He collected
"frequently used entries for localization" from cloud platform and placed
at one place with all its context (as context of an entry is very important
part of translation). This step already happened and now the list is
available for review for that Chandan has asked the community.

After discussion on different mailing list and collecting feedback from
various sources (a face-to-face meetup to review will be arranged in India
also in which people of different place can join by irc/hang-out), we will
modify the fuel-cloud proposed list. Then we will release it to be
translated in different language.

As you will be knowing, during translation by a distributed community, the
issue of consistency arises. So, again after somebody proposing translation
in one language, say for us, in Hindi, the translated version will be
reviewed by the Hindi community via face to face or irc or hang out and the
final translation will be released for the use of community as 'Standard'
translation of cloud domain for Hindi language. This way we will make
fuel-cloud module available in different language.

Here you can find three different modules (source language):
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/fuel.git/tree/language/en/terminology

Here you can find status of community contribution:
http://fuelproject.org/stats/index

You can understand, how it will be very much useful for the consumption of
a translation tool like Zanata/Pootle/TranslateWiki etc when distributed
community is translating on one project.

> I believe how to build useful glossaries in this area and how to
> translate them must be
> both interesting topics. Anther open question is how to maintain these
> glossaries
> and their translations in a sustainable way.

The following links will be helpful in understanding FUEL effort:

Sankarshan's Blog (the very first blog on FUEL):
http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/2008/07/10/a-look-into-fuel/

My article on fuel: http://opensource.com/life/12/6/fuel-project

Thanks!

--
Rajesh Ranjan
www.rajeshranjan.in

Can the FOSS community save 197 endangered Indian languages?
<http://opensource.com/community/14/7/save-endangered-language-today>