[Openstack-i18n] Documented translation infrastructure

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 16:28:06 UTC 2014

Andreas and Elizabeth,

Nice write-up.

I have one question about the below description in the process
(without reading the infra code, sorry).

> 2. The script connects to transifex and asks to download for each resource all "sufficiently translated" files. We define "sufficiently" as at least 75 per cent of strings are translated.

Once 75% of strings are translated, the corresponding resource is downloaded.
Will the resource be updated later even if the percentage of
translated strings becomes <75%?
IMHO it is better to be updated even if the percentage is <75% when
the resource exists in $PROJECT repo.
It can be done by "tx pull" without "-a" option.
(Of course the percentage becomes <20%, the resource will be removed.)

> 9. If there are troubles with the patch, a core should send a message to the i18n team (AJaeger is on their mailing list) and tell about the problem. Then somebody needs to investigate whether translations or tools are broken.

I can volunteer for trouble shooting too.

Beyond this document, I think we need to document how to manage
translations during RC phase (after RC1 is cut).

(to transifex)
We need to update Transifex resources manually once RC1 is cut.
Luckily enough, after RC1 the barrier of new patches becomes very high
and we rarely see new strings, so it doesn't matter. Considering it,
IMHO we don't need to support Transifex resource update during this
special period.

(from transifex to git repo)
Translation importing is still a manual process. Personally it also
can be a manual process to some extent.
We need to propose a patch to "proposed/xxxx" branch directly, so it
is still better to be done manually.
We only need one volunteer for a release.

In Horizon case, I18N team has a consensus to ship almost 100%
translations are shipped (the threshold is usually 90~95%), so we need
an extra step.
(My script [1] assists me to propose a patch. I usually just need to
run "propose-trans.sh",
"git commit", "run_test.sh" and then "git review".)

I saw you advices how to update message catalogs in several projects.
Looking at this, more automated process (or better scripts) are needed.

These are future possible improvements.

Transifex does not support a branch mechanism, so we need to rename resources
and create new resources (or to create resources for stable). It is
really a headache for us.

[1] https://github.com/amotoki/horizon-i18n-tools

Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>