[Openstack-i18n] Translation update process for stable branch(es)

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 09:41:39 UTC 2014

Hi all,

In this mail I would like to discuss what releases do we accept translations.

At now there is no systematic process when we import translations
after the initial release of some version (Juno, Icehouse, ...).
Importing translations to stable update is done occasionally so far.
It is almost up to me. When I noticed some need for translation update
(mainly in Japanese :-)), I propose a patch to import translations.
It is really not systematic. If I am busy, I don't check it.
This is the reason the first Icehouse update didn't have translation update.

Questions are:

- What release(s) we accept translations?
  Note that "Accept translations" means translations will be imported
into a stable branch and releases as a part of the stable update
release.

  My idea is to accept translations only for the latest stable release.

- When should we import translations to a stable branch?
  Systematically (as a team)? Occasionally (up to someone's interest)?

  My vote is to import translations for each stable update of the
latest stable branch.
  At least the first and second stable update (201X.Y.1 or .2) need to
be considered.

If we decide to do import as a stable release process as a team,
we should assign someone to work on for each stable update
(because I can't always take care of it).
Assigned person(s) should check the date of a next stable update,
check if there are new translations to be imported, and then propose
a patch to import translations to a corresponding stable branch.

I already have a consensus with the stable maintenance team that
the deadline of translations import proposal is 3 day after the freeze date.
The freeze date of a stable maintenance release is usually announced
in stable-maint list.

Thought? Any volunteer?

--
Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>