[Openstack-i18n] Complete translations are big

Julie Pichon jpichon at redhat.com
Thu May 8 15:59:52 UTC 2014

On 08/05/14 16:46, Douglas Fish wrote:
> I've come across this review for automated translations coming into Horizon
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/91523/  It concerns me that it has over a
> half million LOC in it, and many of these languages have near 0
> translation.  (I checked here:
> https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/horizon/).  0 translation languages
> have just as many lines as full translations; they are just shorter.
>
> I can't give you a specific well-defined issue about why this concerns me,
> but I'm worried about things like how big it might make our distributions,
> or adding time to how long it takes to clone a new Horizon instance, or use
> devstack.
>
> I've chatted a bit about this in #openstack-horizon. ajaeger has pointed
> out to me that this isn't the biggest patch we've had for translations.
> This one, for example, is 5 million lines:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/67521/  This doesn't entirely satisfy me
> because git clone https://review.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-manuals
> is taking several minutes for me this morning (full disclosure:  I am
> having some network flakiness today).  I'd hate for Horizon to take
> anywhere near that long to clone.
>
> Also in #openstack-horizon jpich has shared that we intend to prune some of
> these langauges out of Horizon as we approach the release.  Maybe it would
> be best to begin that pruning now, to avoid late dev cycle churn?

One of the suggestions that came up on IRC was to maybe only pull
translations for languages that are at least 50% complete, or some other
arbitrary number (not only for Horizon but for all projects).

We've been careful about which languages we add the po files for in
Horizon, so it does seem strange to suddenly add back everything,
especially if we will remove them again at release time.

I wonder if there might be a way to only update languages for which we
already have the po files in the repo, rather than pull all po files? Or
if that is desirable at all.

I guess I'd also like to understand what would be the preferred way to
proceed, from the translation team's perspective :) Is there any use in
pulling in languages that only have a few unreviewed translated words?
Then we can try to figure out the technical concerns around the string
churn and repo size.

Thank you,

Julie