[Openstack-i18n] Track .tx in git or not?

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Wed Mar 12 03:35:43 UTC 2014

Hello,

The folder .tx is used to save the configuration of Transifex Client, which
supports our translation process.
The folder .tx in openstack-manuals is in managed by git index and tracked
changes by git.
The file .tx/config saves the mapping information between local po files
and the resources in Transifex.
If a new po file is added, the file .tx/config will be changed.

Now the changes of folder .tx will cause a failure of the job
propose_translation_update_manuals.
I'm going to fix it.
Both of below two ways work:
removing .tx from git tree and index, or changing
propose_translation_update_manuals.sh to track changes in .tx.
I just don't know which one is the better choice.

Removing .tx from git because: .tx has no relationship with
openstack-manuals.
The scripts propose_translation_update_manuals.sh and
upstream_translation_update_manuals.sh can use command lines
to create and edit the configurations.

Tracking .tx in git because: when some people want to use Transifex Client
to manage po files, with .tx, they can
use simple Transifex Client command line to pull the translations, and
don't need to understand the complex mapping
information.

There is no consensus in OpenStack projects. Some projects don't track and
some projects track.
I think we need a consensus at least within all documentation projects.
I prefer the first opinion - removing .tx from git
Please let me know your thoughts to this question.

Thank you.

Best regards