[Openstack-i18n] Horizon patch with translation impact (havana)

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Wed Jan 15 09:11:25 UTC 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Akihiro.

I think, we have to finish our goals step by step.

The most important thing in my mind is to create corresponding resources in
Transifex
for the master branch, and automate the synchronize uploading and
downloading process.
Because string frozen date for Icehouse will come in March. We should make
everything
ready before that time.

If you are available, we can have a discussion in the IRC meeting tomorrow.

Best regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)

Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote on 2014/01/14 12:50:07:

> Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>
> 2014/01/14 12:50

> Ying Chun Guo/China/IBM at IBMCN,
>
> cc
>
> Julie Pichon <jpichon at redhat.com>, "openstack-
> i18n at lists.openstack.org" <openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org>
>
> Subject
>
> Re: [Openstack-i18n] Horizon patch with translation impact (havana)
>
> Hi,
>
> I think we need to consider two things:
> (a) maintenance policy of stable release translations
> (b) how to automate the process
>
> Regarding (a), in my understanding, we already have a consensus to
maintain
> translation up-to-date though it is not well-documented so far.
> Daisy renamed Transifex horizon resources to *-havana to allow this.
> From this point of view, there is no reason to give -1/-2 to the
> proposed patch from Julie.
>
> Regarding (b), we should move to the automated process as Daisy wrote and
> I wrote about it several times :-)
> We need a volunteer to work on it. This is just a topic of the process.
>
> > I think, it's no question for Horizon to use #1 to update Transifex
> > resources automatically.
>
> Agree in general.
>
> Before automating the process, we need to discuss how to deal with the
switch
> from master to milestone-proposed just before the release.
> Once RC1 is shipped, master branch is open to development of the next
release
> but translations teams still want to work on the release.
>
> > How about #2 ?
> > I remember originally Horizon team disabled automatics downloading
because
> > messy characters in po.en would cause broken in Horizon test.
> > Now this issue has been resolved.
>
> Yes. It was really an old topic and fixed. It was because English PO
> file has Georgian characters
> and the unit tests failed.  Horizon no longer has English PO files
> since it is the source language
> and the problem never happens now.
>
> > So I wonder if Horizon would like to adopt #2 to enable the automatics
> > translation downloading now.
>
> For master branch, the automated translation imports works to me.
> How about stable branch and milestone-proposed?
>
> For stable branch, we need to import well-reviewed translations.
> How can we achieve this with an automated process?
> I think this is the reason that automated process of translation imports
> is not enabled by default now.
>
> For milestone-proposed, the meaning of the branch changes depending on
> the phase,
> I think it is not easy to make the process automated.
>

> Thanks,
> Akihiro
>
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Ying Chun Guo <guoyingc at cn.ibm.com>
wrote:
> > Hi, Julie
> >
> > I think it's time to consider the automation synchronization between
Horizon