[Openstack-i18n] Glossary clarification?

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Fri Aug 22 07:16:30 UTC 2014

On 08/22/2014 07:39 AM, Ying Chun Guo wrote:
> Hi, Andreas
>
> Thank you for asking.
> My question is:
> I see glossary is a part of documents, not a single document.

It's published on its own as reference in a "hidden" way:
http://docs.openstack.org/glossary/

> If we translate glossary, could it be published alone? How could
> translators see their results of work?

We can always use the drafts-i18n page to publish it.

> I had a talk with Tom Fifiled.
> He helped to address these questions:

Great.

> There is one XML file that includes all glossary terms.
> When a book uses a glossary term inside, doc authors mark it with some
> special syntax, eg. <glossterm>account</glossterm>,
> This generates a custom glossary for each book.
> This is why I see a different glossary for each book.

Also, the glossary entries are shown directly if you hover over them,
see
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/install-guide/install/zypper/content/ch_overview.html
and look at the amber boxes.

> That entire file is actually published to
> http://docs.openstack.org/glossary/.
> If glossary-terms.xml is translated
> (https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/tree/master/doc/glossary),
> then all books will have a translated glossary and that particular
> special page will also be translated.
> Note also: the operations guide has a copy of the glossary. This is
> automatically copied. It is an identical file.
> (https://github.com/openstack/operations-guide/tree/master/doc/glossary)
> So only glossary-terms.xml in the openstack-manuals/doc/glossary folder
> needs translation.
> Translations will also be automatically copied to operations-guide
> repository.
>
> I also talked with Tom about how to display the localized glossary.
> If the localized glossary could be displayed with both English terms and
> localized terms, it will be wonderful.
> i.e. English term is ahead, localized term is followed in a same line,
> Below is the explanation, completed localized.
>
> The localized glossary page will include the mapping information between
> English term to localized term.
> And the terms could be sorted in English alphabetical order.
> That will be display a great localized glossary.
> But we need write some scripts to implement such function.

Yeah, this might need some extra scripting.

> Any thoughts or comments?

I'm not sure how to do this glossary translation best - but you should
be aware of it since it will give you only partial translated manuals...

Andreas