[Openstack-i18n] Including the final : with strings

Douglas Fish drfish at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 29 22:25:38 UTC 2014

There is a bug and associated code review open for Horizon regarding how to
handle the trailing ":" on some messages:

The Bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1296075
The Code Review: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/84342/

The bug and existing code advocate removing the final ":" from strings that
have it for consistency.  While I understand the need for consistency, I
just got a request from a French translator to do the opposite
implementation.  The translator for French shared with me that including
the punctuation as part of the translatable material makes it much easier
to create a correct translation.  In French, a space is expected between
the final word and the final punctuation, including a colon. When the
translators are looking at "Image Details:", its much easier from them to
recognize where the space should go so they can create "Détails de
l'image :". Without the colon as part of the message its hard to know if
they should add a trailing space or not.

What's the feeling from the i18n community about how we should treat the
final punctuation on our strings?

Doug Fish