[Openstack-i18n] Horizon translation importing policy for Havana RC1

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 02:07:58 UTC 2013

HI,

>>> (2) Do we remove translations not completed (<100%) from Horizon repo?
>>>     RC1 release is created from the repo. This means that if we don't
>>> remove
>>>     them non-completed translations will be shipped in RC1.
>>
>> I prefer to remove.
>> I'd like to hear others opinion.
>> Will users use partly translated dashboard?
>> If users won't use, I think there is no concerns to remove uncompleted
>> translation.
>
> IMHO that depends on what is translated. I'd consider the out of the
> box horizon dashboards do be a measure of things translated.
> Everything that isn't enabled by default in the dashboard (like for
> example DBaaS) is in my opinion not a complete blocker. For example
> the installation I have at work doesn't have many of those features
> and probably even with havana they won't be enabled so the users won't
> ever see any untranslated parts (if they were any for my language ;)

AFAIK, strings only used in the following files are rarely visible in Web UI
in Havana release. Around 100 strings can be omitted.

openstack_dashboard/dashboards/project/databases  (DBaaS incubated
project) : ~50
openstack_dashboard/dashboards/project/database_backups (ditto) : ~25
openstack_dashboard/dashboards/router/nexus1000v (only needed by folks
who use Neutron Cisco plugin) : ~30

> But it's hard to test for component completion and it would require
> putting your faith it in the hands of the specific language
> coordinators.
> So right now my proposal is - remove those translations and reconsider
> a process change for 2013.2.1 or IceHouse

As I wrote in the other mail, I agree 100% is not the required criteria.
The important criteria is how each language translators/coordinator
has confidence on their ones.
If they think it is ready to go, it is worth being shipped as a part
of the release.

--
Akihiro MOTOKI <amotoki at gmail.com>