[Openstack-i18n] Collecting requirements to translation tools

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 14:50:27 UTC 2013

I don't know if my previous comments were useful, if they're not just
let me know and I'll stop. :)

Stefano Maffulli, 25/10/2013 00:48:
> On 10/17/2013 04:27 PM, Ying Chun Guo wrote:
>> I added 1 more requirement: Integration with OpenID.
>> I don't want our translators to bother another user account for the
>> translation.
>
> I added another set of criteria for the evaluation. Mainly I'm focusing
> on finding out more about the solidity of the communities developing the
> software. The criteria I've added are simplified sets from research
> financed a few years ago by the European Commission to improve
> evaluation of open source software. Mostly these are qualitative data
> points.

Interesting!
I can't edit the gdoc, so let me fill some blanks for translatewiki.net
here (in addition to what already reported):
* "API to gather statistics about translators": do you mean API
providing the stats or API to make your own? MediaWiki has extensive
API, for ready stats see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Statistics_and_reporting
* "Cross-project glossary and dictionary": yes, see the translation
memory already mentioned.
*  "Easily see the translating context" is our pet peeve, see interface
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Translate_manual_-_Page_example_-_19._Documentation.png>
* "Work offline": yes.
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Help:Extension:Translate/Off-line_translation>
* "Code maturity": it's 6+ years.
<https://git.wikimedia.org/metrics/mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FTranslate>
* "Training available?": if you mean documentation and tutorials,
plenty. If you mean in person, it's been done in the past.
* "Roadmap": it's public.
<https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?component=Translate&product=MediaWiki%20extensions&product=Wikimedia&query_format=advanced&resolution=---&order=priority%2Cbug_severity%2Cbug_id%20DESC>

Nemo