[Openstack-i18n] What's up and what's next? I18n team

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 16:16:52 UTC 2013

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the report of the summit :-)

The action item list covers the topic well.
We already have another thread about Havana Horizon translation management.

I have a couple of questions and comments on the action items.
Please find them inline.

Akihiro

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Ying Chun Guo <guoyingc at cn.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> The openstack summit was held last week.
> There were 4 sessions in total related with OpenStack I18n.
> I had chances to discuss with Doc team, Oslo team, Infra team and release
> management team about I18n tools and processes.
> I got very positive results.
> It turns out that leaders in OpenStack community think I18n as a very
> important area ( which is great ).
> I summarize what happened in the summit here.
>
> 1. Publishing translated documentation
> (https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/icehouse-doc-translation)
>
> The translated document publish process was discussed in this session.
> The decision was to have two servers to publish translated documents:
> official server and staging server.
> The official server will be used to publish the well translated documents.
> Staging server will be used to host the ongoing translated documents, which
> will help the review process.
>
> 2. Translation tools and scripts
> (https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/icehouse-summit-translation-tools-and-scripts)
>
> This discussion was held to decide whether we went away from Transifex
> (because of some well known reasons,
> if you don't know, please contact me) and moved to another translation
> platform.
> After comparing with several famous translation platforms, we figured out
> Transifex was the best one till now.
> As Transifex won't trun off in a short time, we will continue to use
> Transifex.
> At the same time, we will contact Transifex as well as other translation
> tool communities, to raise the feature
> requirements and see how they can satisfy us. Then we make decision in
> several months.
>
> 3. I18n policies of messages
> (https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/icehouse-oslo-i18n-policies)
>
> This session was to discuss the messages translation policies.
> The result was to separate messages ( log messages, API response messages,
> and etc ) into different po files,
> and let translation teams/coordinators to decide the translation priorities.
> Another result was to introduce message IDs to log messages, which will
> enable searching and bug diagnosis
> if log messages are not in English. (It's a great change from the software
> architecture view.)

Are there any discussion about how to maintain message IDs?

I see more topics after splitting the messages per categories (log,
API response...).

There is a case where Horizon or CLI programs use returned messages from the API
servers as a part of user visible messages. Horizon does this.
In this case, message returned from the API servers of nova, neutron,
cinder should be
determined according to Accept-Languages.

At the same time, Horizon or other programs may log the message in
their log files
and it is better to store log in a single language (such as English).
This raises another question: API server should return translated
messages as API returns,
or API server returns untranslated message and programs which call API methods
load translation catalogs (based on returned messages).

(I am not sure it was discussed in Hong Kong sessions.)

> 4. Icehouse release schedule & coordination
>
> I had chance to explain our translation process with "big guys" in Openstack
> community.
> This session is more related with messages translation than documents
> translation.
> In a release cycle, message translations will be continuously imported into
> git repository.
> At last, the translation teams can decide which languages should be shipped
> with release.
> (None translation team supported languages will be removed.)
>
> Havana was called a conclusion, and Icehouse was just kicked off.
> We shall also make our plans in this release cycle.
>
> I have the following items in my mind:
>
> 1. Publish Japanese operation guide in the website.
> Operation guide in other languages are welcomed too.
> For translation teams, if you have plans to translate, please let me know.
> We can figure out a reasonable plan for the translation work.

What is the next action?
Adding Japanese index page to the doc web site?

> 2. Re-organize the I18n wiki page.
> Clearly list our team structure.
> I plan to use "I18n team" and "L10n teams" to manage.
> I18n team will be responsible for OpenStack I18n, which means to help
> OpenStack to become a software
> that can be localized. I18n includes setting up translation process,
> changing code infrastructure, and so on.
> L10n teams will be responsible for OpenStack L10n, including translation and
> localization.
> People can join both I18n team and his/her L10n team. People can join only 1
> team also.
> The wiki page shall list clearly these information.
> Here are good samples: https://l10n.gnome.org/teams/  and
> http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/.

Sounds reasonable.
For I18N part, each person cannot cover all areas.
As a long term, we have several subteams but at now let's start what we can.

> 3. Use Launchpad to manage bugs and blueprints.
> Find a way to track the contributors.
> If we are not able to track them automatically, let's track them manually.
> Coordinators please help to track the contributors to your language
> translations.
> At least, remember and display their names.

Do we use bugs and blueprints on launchpad for I18N work or can we use
it for L10N works too?
If we can use it for L10N, local language should be allowed for
efficient discussion.

> 4. Enable translation function in MediaWiki
> If we want to translate wiki page, we will use the translation function in
> MediaWiki itself to manage.

Is the translation function already available now?
Or do we prepare it from now?