[openstack-hpc] What's the state of openstack-hpc now?

me,apporc appleorchard2000 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 11:05:38 UTC 2016

Hi, all

I found this etherpad[1] which was created long time ago, inside which
there are some blueprints: support-heterogeneous-archs[2],
heterogeneous-instance-types[3]
and schedule-instances-on-heterogeneous-architectures[4] .
But those blueprints had been obselete since year 2014, and some of its
patches were abandoned.
There however is a forked branch github[5] or launchpad[6], which is
diverged far away from nova/trunk, and not updated since 2014 too.

Is that we just abandoned those blueprints in openstack or else?

Besides, there is a CaaS[7] project called Senlin[8], which refered to the
word "HPC" in its wiki. But it seems like not really related. "Cluster" can
mean many things, but hpc is some kind different.

I can not get the status of GPU support in nova. As the case of network,
SR-IOV[9] seems ok. For storage, i don't know what the word "mi2" means in
etherpad[1].

According to what i got above, it seems we can not use hpc in openstack
now. But there are some videos here[10], here[11] and here[12].Since we can
not get GPU in nova instance, are they just building traditional hpcs
without GPU?

I need more information, thanks in advance.

1. https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/HVHsTqOQGc
2. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/support-heterogeneous-archs
3. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/heterogeneous-instance-types
4.